Going on holiday tends to be a time for over-indulgence. While we all go for some downtime and, more often than not, a bit of vitamin D from sunrays, we don’t want to be contracting a holiday illness. Obviously this is more of a problem the further afield that you go and off the beaten track, but if you are worried about a dodgy tummy then you need some protection.
There are some things that you can do ahead of time – the lemon cleansing diet is popular – but what about while you are there? Well, these 10 supplements are worth a look and maybe a spot in your luggage.
- Fish Oil – It’s crucial that you keep up your omega 3 levels, and the other natural nutrients that you can get from fish oil, so make sure that your nerve and brain cells are being produced even on holiday.
- Milk Thistle – Widely known for being a post-holiday detox, there’s no real reason to wait that long when you can take it with you. Taking this while on holiday will encourage new cell growth while repairing any liver cells that you may be drinking away.
- Vitamin C – A supplement that many people take on a daily basis anyway, taking this with you gives you an added boost to the immune system to fend off any problems you may have on holiday.
- Vitamin B12 – Another vitamin, and this one is known for relieving stress while also boosting the immune system. With as many as one-third of adults over 30 not getting enough from their food, this could be a healthy addition to your items.
- Echinacea – Helping to fight off infections is what this is known for, perfect for any cold symptoms that you might have while being a good aid for upper respiratory infections as well.
- Flaxseed Oil/Pills – Having omega-3 properties is one thing but it is also known to keep you regular – a problem you may have during tavels.
- Proanthocyanidins – Found in grapes, berries and nuts, this is a natural supplement that is believed to help prevent UV damage. A perfect addition in sunnier climbs.
- Lycopene – Another sun damage protector. This carotenoid that comes from tomatoes is believed to give you protection when you take 55g, or maybe a pill, each day.
You may not feel the need to travel with all of these, but going abroad with at least one or two should give you some needed added protection. Having an illness is one of the worst things that can happen on holiday, so be sure to be in good shape before and during your trip.